Permitted Developement Guide
A overview of the government planning portal regarding new permitted development rights as of October 2008. The full regulations may be found at www.planningportal.gov.uk. The new regulations that came into effect on October 1st 2008 permits outbuildings to be considered as permitted development, not requiring planning permission but subject to the following limits and conditions:
- No outbuilding on land forward of a wall forming the principal elevation.
- Outbuildings and garages to be single storey with maximum eaves height of 2.5 metres and maximum overall height of four metres with a dual pitched roof or three metres for any other roof.
- Maximum height 2.5 metres within two metres of a boundary.
- No verandas, balconies or raised platforms.
- No more than half the area of land around the "original house"* would be covered by additions or other buildings.
- In National Parks, the Broads, Areas of Outstanding Natural Beauty and World Heritage Sites the maximum area to be covered by buildings, enclosures, containers and pools more than 20 metres from house to be limited to 10 square metres.
- On designated land buildings, enclosures, containers and pools at the side of properties will require planning permission.
- Within the curtilage of listed buildings any outbuilding will require planning permission.
- The term "original house" means the house as it was first built or as it stood on 1 July 1948 (if it was built before that date). Although you may not have built an extension to the house, a previous owner may have done so.
- Designated land includes national parks and the Broads, Areas of Outstanding Natural Beauty, conservation areas and World Heritage Sites.
Where the floor area of the building is between 15 square metres and 30 square metres, you will not normally be required to apply for building regulations approval provided the building is either at least one metre from any boundary or it is constructed of substantially non-combustible materials. In both instances, building regulations do not apply as long as the building does not contain any sleeping accommodation.
Registered Office: 7 Arllington Road . Walton Cardiff .Tewkesbury, Gloucestershire . GL20 7QA Phone: 07969 748 274
© Pristine Garden Rooms 2012